permission for /dev/dsp

Hey Yo Hoh!

Due to the list's help I can now enjoy my movies with
xine.
Thank you, but.... I had to change the rights of /dev/dsp
to allow an ordinary user to access it. Is this save or
not
- is there a better solution?
Well another possibility would, of course, be to start
xine
as root - I think this would be a lot worse, wouldnt it?!
(But I was just wondering - I read about it often enough
but
keep forgetting, since I hardly ever need it: how do I
change
the DISPLAY-setting, so an app started from a root-term
under
X will display the stuff on the user's desktop?)

Well, hope this is easy to answer - thank you in advance

cu
kamome