users and menus, update-menus

Where/when does gnome get its menus? If I make a change to /etc/menu
and run update-menus as root I see the changes immediately in the
gnome/debian menus. However if I make a change to ~/.menu and run
update-menus as a user I do *not* see that anything has happened.

Also, the 'sort' option doesn't seem to work. In the Apps/Programming
section all the entries are uppercase except 'elk' so 'elk' shows last
in the menu. Adding 'sort=ELK' to the menu entry doesn't change its
position.

Have I misunderstood how menus are supposed to work?

--
"Our liberty depends upon the freedom of the press, and that cannot be
limited without being lost."