Re: devfs + grub [was Re: RAM upgrade]

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 06:12:57AM +0800, csj wrote:
| On Fri, 14 Jun 2002 18:05:01 -0500
| "Derrick 'dman' Hudson" <dman@dman.ddts.net> wrote:
|
| >  The only odd thing I've noticed is the root= parameter to the kernel.
| >  That must be the old name.  I have no idea why, but trying the devfs
| >  name fails.
| >
| >  Here's my grub stanza for booting the pre-packaged kernel :
| >

| >  title       Debian GNU/Linux (2.4.18-k7 , 1280x1024x16)
| >      root        (hd0,0)
| >      kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-k7 root=/dev/hda1 read-only devfs=mount video=vesa vga=0x31A
| >      initrd      /boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-k7
|
| I think I now understand the problem. Grub really doesn't understand
| devfsd. It just "mounts" the kernel (root=) and lets it take over from
| there. Thanks for the clarification.

Hmm, sort of.  Grub doesn't know how _any_ OS names the disks.
Whether it's linux, linux+devfs, *BSD, windows, whatever, grub doesn't
care.  It doesn't need to -- it has its own naming of disks that are
used in grub commands.  The root= thing is simply passed to the kernel
to let it do whatever it wants with it.

| Now, would enabling devfsd magically cause my disk-based /dev/ directory
| to be mirrored in devfs-pace?

If you mount devfs on /dev, then /dev will be devfs.  It's very much
like how /proc works.  If you don't mount procfs on /proc, then /proc
won't be procfs, and if you do it will be.

| I'm particularly concerned about the permission and ownership of the
| devices.

Most stuff is fine the way devfsd ships.  You can configure it to set
whatever perms you want to stuff too.  Install the package and browse
through it.  Simply installing the devfsd package won't actually do
anything to your system.  You'll have to mount devfs on /dev before
trying to start devfsd for it to start.

HTH,
-D

--

I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.  Now a slave
has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/