Re: DMA settings

On 15 Jun 2002 10:28:40 -0500

>  > I'd like to permanently set the dma=1 parameter on my HD (UDMA100)
>  > and DVD-ROM-drives. hdparm does the job manually, but after reboot
>  > the old state is active again.
>
>  So make a startup script that runs hdparm...

My own experience with this is that if you have to enable DMA using
hdparm, then something is lacking in or even wrong with your kernel.
This can be quite harmless, but it could be a sign that your system
can't handle that sort of DMA. Perhaps it's time to recompile that
kernel or get a new board.

When I used my previous kernel, which worked nicely on a VIA-based
board, on a SiS board, DMA was invariably disabled at boot time. I would
force DMA using hdparm, and soon enough I would get disk read errors.
Recompiling and enabling (I suspect) "CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SIS5513=y" let me
boot with DMA enabled.