Re: Floppy Installation

On Fri, 2002-06-14 at 22:53, Aravind Vinnakota wrote:

> Hi all,
>    Previously I installed Debian on my (Sun Ultra 5 sparc) system using
> CDs. Now, I am looking for other ways to install it. Right now, we install
> Redhat using a minimal image on a floppy and boot the system and install
> the OS from our local mirror using http. I am looking something similar to
> that on Debian also. I just want to use a basic image on a single floppy
> and install the entire OS from our local mirror using http. I looked into
> the docs, it listed many ways to install, but the one using floppies
> consume lot of them and I dont think that is right way to do. Do you think
> using the rescue and root images will help. Can anyone suggest me ways to
> do what I want? Please cc me as I am not on the list.

What you can do with just the root and rescue floppies depends a lot on
what network card you have.  Check the .config for the version of the
boot floppy you are using, and if your network card is compiled in then
you can boot using just the rescue and root floppies and then get
everything else over the network.  I used to do this all the time till
they started compiling the vortex drivers as a module.  If you don't
find your driver compiled in I think you can compile your own rescue
floppy then use the root floppy.  I have yet to try this approach, but I
think it should work in theory.  Good luck.

PS I noticed your wvu.edu address.  I am a MAE major at WVU.  I have
only ever installed to x86, but if you need any help or anything like
that Id love to meet other people who are interested in Debian.
--
-Peace kid
  Scott Henson	shenson2@wvu.edu

"God's the ultimate playa, so naturally He's going to have some haters,"
rapper Ice Cube said. "But these haters need to realize that  if you
mess with the man upstairs, you will get your ass smote. True dat."