Re: Size of debian?

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 01:16:02PM -0500, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> My unstable mirror for i386 is currently ~5 GB. I've got a Perl script
> that I wrote that scans through the Packages.gz for the different
> distributions and just adds up all of the file sizes. The format of
> Packages.gz is straightforward enough, so writing it isn't really much
> of a problem.

You can use the tools in the grep-dctrl package, if you like. This
one-liner sums the sizes of all the packages in your local available
file; if you want to work on a local Packages file, use 'grep-dctrl
-nsSize -r . Packages' or 'zcat Packages.gz | grep-dctrl -nsSize -r .'
instead.

  grep-available -nsSize -r . | perl -le '$t += $_ while <>; print $t;'

On woody/i386, this currently prints 4448543468, although I have a
couple of extra packages installed which may skew it slightly.