Re: problems with running remote X programs

On Fri, 2002-06-14 at 10:32, David Z Maze wrote:
> Matthew Yee-King <yeeking@no-future.com> writes:
> > I'm running gdm, windowmaker, woody and xfree 4.2. i need to run
> > software on a remote mahcine that outputs to my local X server. On
> > the remote machine, i export DISPLAY="mylocalIP:0" then on my local
> > machine, i xhost <memote machineIP> .
>
> Eew eew eew.  Don't do that.  Debian disables unencrypted X network
> sessions.  But since you're using ssh to log in from one machine to
> the other (right?) this is easy: just add -X to the ssh command-line
> arguments to get X forwarding over ssh, and the DISPLAY environment
> variable will be automagically set to the right thing on the remote
> machine.

Ok...  From an xterm window on my local box, I do
  $ssh -X <username>@<remotehost>

Then from the command prompt on the remote box, I type
  $mtr -g www.cox.net
and instantly get the error
  Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Explicitly setting $DISPLAY on the remote host causes the
same error, but it just takes a few seconds of cogitation, first.

Any ideas?  Colin Watson says to remove '-nolisten tcp' from
the script that starts the local X.  I'm going to try that now.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net     |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81 |
| "I have created a government of whirled peas..."        |
|   Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 12-May-2002,                   |
!   CNN, Larry King Live                                  |