Diagnosing serial ports

This is a followup to yesterday's attempt to get a CoStar Labelwriter XL
working under linux.

I plugged the thing into a windows laptop and it printed fine, so the
problem is not in the printer.

If I start statserial, point it at /dev/ttyS1, and plug/unplug the printer
from the computer, the CTS/DSR statuses change appropriately.

If I do anything with the pbm2lwxl package to try to print, no errors
occur but nothing comes out of the printer. The easy example is:

small2lwxl < small > /dev/ttyS1

which seems to think it's worked, since there's no error output, but
absolutely nothing happens on the printer.

I'm beginning to wonder if some other process has locked up the serial
port (although fuser -v /dev/ttyS1 shows nothing) or if I'm missing some
module or kernel option.  I know this is speculative, but if anyone's got
an idea I'd be very grateful.

This is woody running custom-built kernel 2.4.18.

ap