Re: so how do the pros read all those .gz docs, zless?

> > Does debian ship /usr/bin/lesspipe?  In what package?  I always have
[...]
> # dpkg -S /usr/bin/lesspipe
> less: /usr/bin/lesspipe
>
> There you go.  In woody, at least.

I must have been blind because I see it now too.  In any case the
installation of less includes a debconf that says this:

  "less" itself is only able to display plain text. But with the help of
  an appropriate input filter, it can be used to display various binary
  data, ranging from gzip compressed text files to tar archives and
  debian packages. For detailed information about how to use input
  filters with less, see the file /usr/share/doc/less/LESSOPEN or the
  manpage lesspipe(1).

Bob