Re: USB HardDisk?

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 08:40:35PM -0600, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> I just bought a 10Gig Archos MP3 player.  Very nice so far.  Plug it in
> to the USB, open explorer and start copying files over.  Yeah windows.
>
> My home machine will be re-compiling with USB support very soon (aka as
> soon as copy done).  The MP3 player shows out it's internal disk as a
> usb disk and works great.  To access this under linux (2.4.18) exactly
> what do I need to compile in, and what device will I mount?
> /dev/usb/hda?

I had a AJB6000 (Original 6GB player) which I recently upgraded to the
20 GB recorder. All of the  AJBs except the 20 GB recorder use the
ISD-200 interface which has its own special driver module. You should
have CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_ISD200=y in your kernel config file. You will
also need the general USB stuff. Your choice of OCHI vs UCHI modules
will depend upon your chipset: ``lspci'', ``cat /proc/pci'' and ``cat
/proc/bus/pci/devices'' may yield some clues as to which driver is
appropriate.

I have the following in my /etc/fstab (minus the linebreak):

/dev/sda1 /mnt.dir/jukebox vfat \
defaults,user,gid=1005,fmask=664,dmask=775,noauto

I find it easiest to maintain the directories on the AJB by setting up
a mirror system under my home directory and using rsync to update the
jukebox.

As a side note, the 20 GB recorder is supported with the standard usb
mass storage drivers, and has usb 2.0 support under 2.4.19-pre kernels.
It will hang your USB stack if you plug it in without first turning it
on, however.

HTH,
dt

--
Dave Thayer           | If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about
Denver, Colorado USA  | cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all