Re: USB HardDisk?

>>>>> "Robert" == Robert L Harris <Robert.L.Harris@rdlg.net> writes:

[...]

Robert> My home machine will be re-compiling with USB support very soon
Robert> (aka as soon as copy done).  The MP3 player shows out it's
Robert> internal disk as a usb disk and works great.  To access this
Robert> under linux (2.4.18) exactly what do I need to compile in, and
Robert> what device will I mount?  /dev/usb/hda?

I have an IBM USB key, which AFAIK uses the same protocol as normal USB
disks.  You'll need USB support (obviously), OHCI support, and USB Mass
Store support.  You'll also need SCSI support and SCSI disk support,
because the disk will claim to be a SCSI disk.  Hmm.  Looking at lsmod,
I also seem to have the SCSI cdrom module loaded, but I don't think it's
related to the USB key.

I have pretty much all the USB drivers compiled as modules.  It just
takes a little longer to compile, doesn't slow down the kernel (since
they won't be used if they're not needed), and if I, for some reason or
other get some new hardware, I just plug it in, and it's there.

When I plug in my USB key, it gets mapped to
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/*, which according to the devfs
compatibility symlinks maps to /dev/sda*.  I get partitions 1, 2, and 4
on my USB key.  /dev/sda4 contains the data, which I can also get by
mounting /dev/sda.  I don't know what /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 are.  It
probably varies by device what partitions you get, but you can probably
try mounting /dev/sda.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA