Re: ipchains, iptables, and 2.4.18

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 10:16:09PM -0400, Andrew Perrin wrote:
| I'd like to upgrade my home machine's kernel to 2.4.18, but I'm not too
| excited about moving from ipchains to iptables. (This machine acts as a
| router from the home network [on eth0] and our DSL service [eth1].)  So, a
| few questions:
|
| - How easy or hard is it to migrate an ipchains ruleset to iptables?

It wasn't hard for me.

| - Is it possible/adviseable to use ipchains under 2.4.18?

It is possible.  I moved to iptables anyways.  There's a module
(ipchains.o?) for ipchains compatibility.  You can't mix-n-match,
though.

| - What documentation should I read?

The netfilter HOWTO (http://netfilter.samba.org)

-D

--

The Consultant's Curse:
    When the customer has beaten upon you long enough, give him

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/