XF86Config-4

I initially configured X to use a mouse type of ImPS/2, which caused
some strange behavior, so I changed it to PS/2 in the XF86Config-4
file.  It works well now, however when I did an 'apt-get dist-upgrade'
it reverted back to the initial debconf setting and I had to go back and
change the config file.

Is there a way that I can change just that setting - 'dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86' wants all of the settings - so that in the future my
current settings stay as is.

I peeked around a bit and it seems that
/var/lib/dpkg/info/xerver-xfree86.config might be a place that I could
do this.  Perhaps under MOUSE_PROTOCOL_CHOICES="ImPS/2" or
DEFAULT_PROTOCOL="ImPS/2"?

Wanted to run this by you guys in case I'm about to break something or
if there's an easier way. Thanks,

Andrew