Re: Debian source package usage?

> I am trying to build 'ls' from source.
>
> Finding that ftp.gnu.org sources don't work, I grab the
> fileutils*[dsc|orig|diff]* files from debian.

Being more of a GNU type of person than a Debian type of person (yet!)
I would like to ask what "don't work" about the GNU sources?  They
should build out of the box on most machines just fine.

  tar xzf fileutils-4.1.8.tar.gz
  cd fileutils-4.1.8
  ./configure
  make

Note that you want dpkg to know about the files you installed.  So I
am *not* arguing to bypass the packager by doing a make install.  On
the contrary I highly recommend installing to a system using a package
manager and never do a 'make install' unless it is part of building a
package.  I am just saying that the GNU sources should work and am
pained that you say they don't.  Feel free to move the discussion to
<bug-fileutils@gnu.org> if it is upstream specific.

If the GNU sources have problems then read the FAQ first and then file
a bug with <bug-fileutils@gnu.org>.  Build bugs are usually addressed
quite quickly.

  http://www.gnu.org/software/fileutils/doc/faq/

> I find the /usr/doc/debian/source-unpack.txt file
> and follow it.
>
> Now, what do I do next?  That is: When/what do
> I do with a debian/rules file?

I am hoping for good discussion here as I am learning this side of
things myself.

Bob