Why does dpkg prompt for unchanged conffiles during upgrade?

Why is it prompting for these when I have not modified them at all
AFAIK?  Is this a bug in dpkg or a packaging error?  Anyone know?

8<------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->8
Setting up libgnome2-common (2.0.1-1) ...

Configuration file `/etc/gconf/schemas/desktop_gnome_applications_window_manager.schemas'
 ==> File on system created by you or by a script.
 ==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
   What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
    Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
      D     : show the differences between the versions
      Z     : background this process to examine the situation
 The default action is to keep your current version.
*** desktop_gnome_applications_window_manager.schemas (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? y
Installing new version of config file /etc/gconf/schemas/desktop_gnome_applications_window_manager.schemas ...

Configuration file `/etc/gconf/schemas/desktop_gnome_file_views.schemas'
 ==> File on system created by you or by a script.
 ==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
   What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
    Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
      D     : show the differences between the versions
      Z     : background this process to examine the situation
 The default action is to keep your current version.
*** desktop_gnome_file_views.schemas (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?