Re: RAM upgrade == Kernel Panic

"Jamin W.Collins" <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> writes:
> On Wed, 12 Jun 2002 16:51:06 -0400
> "Tom Allison" <tallison@tacocat.net> wrote:
>
> > I got a really interesting one.
> >
> > I am running a stock K7 kernel from woody.
> > I recall seeing such things as cramfs, VFS, and initrd during the boot
> > sequence.
> >
> > I upgraded my RAM to replace the current 128M to 768M
> >
> > Now, when I boot it panics with a message that VFS can't mount the root
> > device at 03:02.
> >
> > If I return to the original RAM, it's fine.
>
> Have you tested the new memory?  Memtest86 is a great tool for doing just
> this.

And there's a Debian package for it, memtest86!

I have to agree with Jamin here. While it's not impossible that it's a
software issue, it's much more likely to be a problem with your memory
or with one of the memory sockets on your motherboard. memtest86 is a
stand-alone memory tester (you boot into it) and it does a thorough
test that should point out a hardware problem.

If memtest86 shows an error you can try inserting the memory sticks
one at a time and if each one individually checks out it's probably a
problem with your motherboards memory sockets.

The BIOS memory test is practically worthless, BTW. It won't catch 90%
of memory errors.

Gary