Re: Debian book for complete newbie?

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 04:42:45AM -0230, Michael D. Crawford wrote:

> I'm only going to be here for a month, and while I can do the installation
> and teach Bruce the basics, I think it would be very helpful to get Bruce
> a printed book.  The online doc only works if you know enough about Linux
> to find it and use the whatever tool is required to read it.

May I suggest you download and install some online documentation for
your friend after you have set up Debian for him.  That way he will not
have to search for it.  Much online documentation is in html format so
only a browser is necessary to read it locally.  gv would suitable if he
prefers to view or print the pdf versions often provided.

Some Debian specific links:

http://edm.act.cmis.csiro.au/debian/debtopics/
http://qref.sourceforge.net/
http://teleport.medri.hr/~docelic/debguide/hands-on-debian-guide.html
http://www.polaris.net/~dwarf/

There is Debian package of the last one.

Though not specifically directed towards Debian The Linux Newbie
Administrator Guide and The Linux Cookbook both have a lot of basic
material explained in them and are good reads.

http://sunsite.dk/linux-newbie/index.htm
http://www.dsl.org/cookbook/

The second book is packaged for Debian.

Brian.