Re: Problems installing woody

on Wed, Jun 12, 2002, Francisco Fialho (francisco.fialho@liveware.com.br) wrote:
> Peter,
>
> the dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 command gave me the following output:
> Package xserver-xfree86 is not installed and no info is available.
> /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: xsrever-xfree86 is not fully installed.
> then I went and did a apt-get install xserver-xfree86 and
> got the: Couldn`t find package xserver-xfree86...
>
> where can I get this package?

xserver-xfree86 is the package that provides the actual X server binary
itself and supporting files.

The easiest way to obtain it, and all the other necessary packages, is
to install the x-window-system metapackage:

apt-get install x-window-system

What x-window-system does is depend on all the appropriate packages for
the basic X Window System installation.

You'll then probably want to install a window manager or desktop
environment of some sort. twm is functional but less than pretty.

Personally, I favour GNOME.

It would be much easier for you to install aptitude (apt-get install
aptitude) and look at the tasks section there than it would be for me to
enumerate all the packages you'd need :)

Hope this helps

Take care,

Peter.

--