Re: Problems installing woody

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002 05:01:31 -0300
"Francisco Fialho" <francisco.fialho@liveware.com.br> wrote:

> I`m trying to install  woody ( Debian 3.0) at an ACER 4300 with
Celeron 500> processor,
> 128 mem, and onboard video (SIS530/620) and network
drivers(SIS900)...>
> when I finished my first installation I could ping the local and
external> network just
> fine, but I cannot enter in graphic mode. I already did an apt-get
install> in almost
> all of the xserver-* that I found...:-/

Hi!

First of all, remove all xserver-* packages except xserver-xfree86
(and of course xserver-common) which must be installed. If you don't
know at all what to install to get a running X system, just remove
the xserver-packages except the both mentioned, and then apt-get
install x-window-system (as Bob mentioned).

Is this a laptop which you're trying to install Debian on? If yes,
then the following could help, if not, read on below the next three
paragraphs ;):

It is quite normal that X doesn't run on such a machine, because the
X driver does not know how to handle a certain part which drives the
LCD display or so. But there's a good sis driver under
http://www.winischhofer.net/linuxsis630.shtml which solves the
problem. I'd first try not to change the kernel (If you don't know
what you're doing), but only to install the X driver. Don't get
frustrated because there's so much information on the page - the
setup instructions which'll probably work for you are in the part:
"Variant 4: I want to use X without DRI". You'll just have to
download the precompiled driver for X4.1 and place it in the
directory which is mentioned on the site. Then, you do
"dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" at the console and choose the
"sis" driver in the configuration process. Choose a monitor type
which can handle the resolution you normally have on your LCD at 60
Hz, and choose the resolution you want to have; choose 16 for the
colour depth (or 24 if you desperately need many, many colours ;) ).
Now, don't start X immediately! First, edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
file (for example, go to this directory with the file manager "mc"
("apt-get install mc" and then just type "mc") and select "Edit") (if
it isn't there, edit the "XF86Config" file!) as described on the
winischhofer site under the link "example XF86Config-4". The most
important sections are, if I remember correctly:

-The Section "Monitor": There must not be any "Mode Lines", if any is
there, delete them (delete lines: F8 key in MC editor). But be
careful not to delete the "EndSection" signature at the end of the
monitor section ;). VertRefresh must be set to 50-75, HorizSync to
30-90. ATTENTION: If this isn't set correctly-The section "Device":
The driver must be "sis" (with those quotation marks!). The option
"MaxXFBMem" should be set to "8192" (also both with quotation
marks!). A "mem" or "video ram" option or something like that is not
needed for those adapters, and should not be used. (if it is there,
just change it to a comment by adding a "# " at the beginning of the
line.

BTW, the format of this configuration file mostly looks like this:
	<keyword>		"<value>"
	Option		"<optionname>"		"<value>"
	Option		"<optionname>"
between keyword and value or between the keyword Option and the
optionname or before any keyword, you can use tabs or spaces, as you
want, I think.

After having configured the file, just try "startx".

If you don't have a laptop, just try to configure the x server
correctly by dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 (choose sis driver and
a reasonable monitor (never run a monitor at too high frequencies -
serious demage can occur!)).

If you've got further problems, you can write me at sharcor@gmx.de.
Just configured two laptops with similar video adapters ;).

Cheers,

Stephan