Re: VmWare on Woody

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 03:20:53PM +0200, Helgi ?rn Helgason wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 14:28, Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 01:46:46PM +0200, Helgi ?rn wrote:
> > > I've never before installad a package with RPM in Debian, are there some
> > > weird oddities combined with that?
> >
> > Never do that. Use alien if you can't find a non-RPM version of the
> > package.
>
> Please explain why RPM shouldn't be used when it's there?

I believe it's there for extracting files manually from RPMs, building
RPMs, and that sort of thing. Using it to install packages on your live
system is dangerous because there's no protection against RPM packages
stomping all over things that dpkg has installed; if you use alien, you
get that protection.