https and ssl in Konqueror Browser

Hi all
I'm running Woody 3.0 and want to use Konqueror Browser to access the Hotmail
and my Bank.
Whenver I try to access either I get a message that my build of Konqueror
does not support the https protocol.

I tried(as suggested on this list) to install the kdebase-crypto package and
this does not help though it says it has all manner of security/ encryption
protocols now installed.

I went searching Google and found a link that suggests to get https support
for Konqueror go to the Sun Microsystems site and download a zipped archive
called jsse-1_0_3-gl.zip , unzip it then install the 3 files created from the
unzip, into a directory called " $KDEDIRS/share/apps/kjava/ "
So I tried to copy the files and all I get are a bunch of messages to the
effect that there is no such file. O.K. I have to presume they mean the
destination because I've just unzipped the 3 files and am sitting in their
newly created directory.
So can anyone tell me where can I find $KDEDIRS/share/apps/kjava/

I found /root/.kde/apps/ but no kjava so just to try it on I created a kjava
directory and tried to copy the files to it but no go..it just doesn't want
to know.  Does anyone know if this is just because this is an export version
of Konqueror and doesn't have the relevent folder or what.

Also if anyone gets this far, please is there any book or series of books
thats moderatly up to date on this linux. I downloaded from the Debian site
and printed out a few manuels . One of them" Installing Debian GNU/Linux 3.0
for Intel x86" . I was looking through page 79 (section 9.6.1) about
compiling a new kernel, which I'd like to do to enable support for this K6-2
processor, and the author of the article says..... As root ,create a dir
under /usr/local/src and change the owner of that directory to your normal
non root account.....but he/she doesn't say how to do this.  I really wish to
use this O/S ,is there a decent book on Debian Linux, ie how to do common
tasks once the system is installed?
I brought a huge 1000+ page book on linux that says how to do some
things..say it will say "using linuxconf do so and so" , but linuxconf is not
installed on my system and from reading on the net its supposedly pretty
insecure so I dont wish to install it..but that leaves me totally
stuck...what do I do instead. Options are fantastic proided you know they
exist and can find a way to use them.
PHEW sorry for the grizzle but it gets frustrating when nothing seems to work
and you cant just reach out and lay your hands on immediate help:-)
Thanks for any advise.