Re: Unidentified subject!

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 05:26:47PM -0600, Antonio Mu?oz-Flores wrote:
> I'm new to Debian and I just forgotten the root password so I can do
> many administrative task. Does anybody know how to recover the root
> password?

You can't easily recover the existing password, but, if you have
physical access to the machine, you can set a new one. Reboot the
machine and add the 'init=/bin/sh' flag to the boot prompt (so, if LILO
normally boots the 'linux' image, type 'linux init=/bin/sh' at the LILO
prompt). Reset root's password with 'passwd', and then reboot back to
the normal system.

(By the way, plain-text mail is preferred here, not HTML.)

Cheers,