Re: Changing the Severity of a Bug

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 04:09:37PM -0500, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> Is there a "preferred" way for an end-user to increase/decrease the
> severity of a particular bug?  Or are these at discretion of the package
> maintainer?

It is technically possible for anyone to change a bug's severity as
documented in the help files for the bug tracking system. However, you
ought to have a good justification ("this bug annoys me, it must be
critical!" isn't one such, of course ...), and the package maintainer
and the release manager have final discretion. Usually it's better to
give your opinion and leave the severity to the maintainer.

As with everything, there are exceptions; it depends on the bug and the
maintainer. For instance, release-critical bugs often have more people
looking at them and possibly manipulating them than ordinary bugs.