Re: Debian is not GNU [at least current GNU]

%% Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> writes:

  as> Sean 'Shaleh' Perry <shalehperry@attbi.com> writes:

  >> For most new users emacs20 is just as good as 21.  The two large
  >> changes in 21 for newbies were a better X front end and console font
  >> locking.

  as> Also, better menus, toolbar, tooltips, automatic hscroll,
  as> hourglass, sane delete key setup (especially on terminals),
  as> wheelmouse support, language environment autosetup from locale,
  as> and probably some stuff I'm forgetting.

Yes.  I strongly agree that Emacs 21 is much better for newbies than
Emacs 20.

But, Emacs 21.2 is _still_ a little dodgy in places for me.  I use 21
every day, but 20.7 is unquestionably more stable.  I don't have any
particular issues with Debian sticking with Emacs 20 for Woody.