Re: woody is so full of OLD stuff

On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 08:01:05AM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> A> Try aptitude instead of dselect; it doesn't have many of its
> A> problems. It's IMHO much better, and it is the new "standard"
> A> package managing tool.
>
> ok, if it is so standard

It's not.

> then it should be installed by default in the tasksel phase.

I believe it will be in the next release; the base-config maintainer
seems to like aptitude, but it was too close to release to go mucking
about with that.

> My first impression of debian, woody, is: gee, they sure like giving
> you old defaults:
>
> emacs20.  want emacs 21 then install it yourself.  should be the other
> way around.

That's just the unix-server task. File a bug against tasksel.

> awk is 1996 mawk.  try awk --help, awk --version: cold and
> unresponsive.  If you want that info see the man page.  unless users
> install gawk themselves then Aaron's years of gawk effort are
> irrelevant.

Best talk to the mawk/gawk maintainer (the same person maintains both,
so I'm guessing he has his reasons).

[Snip ad hominems - I'm sure you're getting my point, filing bugs is far
more effective than complaints about how the GNU label is undeserved.]