Re: audio volume playing CDs

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002 23:39:53 +0100 gob <gob@subdimension.com> wrote:

> Evening all.  I cannot obtain maximum volume from my system while
> playing audio CDs with cdtool.  Other apps work fine while playing
> audio off the HD (xmms).  I've used cdtool (cdvolume 255), aumix
> (aumix -v100), and a small app called volume (volume 255).  All of
> these lift the volume slightly but not to what its capable.  Is there
> another app/command I should be using?

Perhaps the CD source volume is set too low? In this case, try aumix
-c100.

There is also a volume control called PCM, set that to maximum as well
with aumix -w100. On some cards there's a second PCM that you can set
with aumix -W (uppercase 'w'). But these should already be OK since you
are satisfied with the volume from sound files on your disk.

I usually set all volumes of all sources to the max, then use the main
volume control (aumix -v) to obtain the desired volume level.

Hope that helps.

--
Carlos Sousa