Re: Software work-around for broken BIOS clock?

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 03:07:01AM -0700, ben wrote:
> On Friday 07 June 2002 01:55 am, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 06:28:27PM -0700, Cam Ellison wrote (slightly
> >
> > reformatted):
> > >
> > > Just a guess: your quickly-discharging battery suggests a
> > > high-resistance or intermittent ground somewhere.  Maybe you should
> > > take the box apart (completely) and have a close look?
> >
> > Been there :-) Last time I changed the battery, I had a good look around
> > inside it, but I didn't find anything I didn't expect to. Sherlock
> > Holmes could probably have dated the machine merely based on the
> > thickness of the dust layer.
> >
> > I doubt whether the dust could have caused it though - it still has the
> > problem after a bit of cleaning.
>
> whether dust or anything else, something just ain't right if you're sucking
> the life out of a lithium battery every couple of weeks. maybe the battery
> socket is hosed.

Yep. Something is definitely wrong with it. But to the naked (and
admittedly not electical-engineer-trained) eye, the hardware looks OK.

> how old is the board?

Not sure - but it is old. Pre-1994, but without obvious Y2K bugs!?.
Borderline carbon-dateable. The whole box is a salvage job. Yes: I admit
there might have been a reason for its disposal :-)

> if there are jumper pins near the socket, check to see that they're
> intact. make sure that the jumpers are set correctly.

As far as I remember, there aren't any jumpers in the immediate
vincinity of the battery. I'll have a look.

> next time you get to pulling a battery, swab the area around the
> contacts with alcohol and let it evaporate before you replace the it.
> those batteries should last for at least half a year.

Cheers. Didn't know about the alcohol trick. It's probably a terrible
waste of snaps though...

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com