Re: Lilo Q

Alice,

On my ASUS P5A/B board, the only way I could get the promise card's first drive
(hde) recognized as the drive to boot off of was to manually set the IDE hard
dives in the BIOS to none, even though I did indeed have hard drives installed
in those positions. Linux of course doesn't care  so once LILO booted off of
/dev/hde all drives were available. The only position I left at AUTO in the BIOS
was /dev/hdc since that was my CDROM. The problem appears to be that the BIOS is
setting the first drive it finds as the boot drive and since the promise card's
BIOS doesn't come into play until after the motherboards BIOS it's too late for
the promise drive to be the boot drive if the motherboard has already found one.

Not sure if an installed SCSI drive would react the same way, but it might.

Hope some of this helps

John