Re: [mostly-OT] apt-get on RH, is it worth anything? (was Re: Debian: abandon ship?)

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 09:26:54AM -0400, Arthur H. Johnson II wrote:

| I use apt-get on my Red Hat servers that need auto updating.

How much memory do they have?  How long does an 'apt-get <anything>' take
to run, compared to debian with equivalent hardware?  (not including
any network latency, just the "reading package lists" part)

| I dont trust RH Network.  It has broken at least a dozen servers
| that I know of, none of them are mine of course.

Last time I tried up2date it was less that worthless.  (admittedly
that was about 2 years ago)  It had almost no packages it could
update, and didn't work half of the time (or more).

| You can get a really great implimentation of apt-get for Red Hat at
| http://www.freshrpms.net.

See my first post in this mini-thread.  That's where I got apt from,
and it was worthless on the box I had available to me.

-D

--

The truly righteous man attains life,
but he who pursues evil goes to his death.