Alt-UpArrow not working and a framebuffer question

Hello,
I'm using vesafb and have just noticed that pressing Alt-UpArrow
doesn't echo the usual "Keyboard Request--edit /etc/inittab ..." but
instead behaves as if there were no Alt key pressed. Obviously
there's a link between (vesa)fb and this problem. What do I do about
it? I run a 2.4.16 kernel with an ATi all-in-wonder pro card and a
Sony lcd.
And here's another problem. Choosing a kernel with aty fb support
and enabling it in my GRUB configuration just results in a blank
screen but the boot process goes on and I can even blindly reboot
the computer! I'm satisfied with vesafb but not being able to switch
modes on the fly is a drawback.
I get the best results with "vga=0x305 video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr,invers"
but then fbset echoes "geometry 1024 768 1024 4096 8" which in turn
makes dvifb not want to start! Issuing "fbset -match" makes my
screen go wild -- only switching between consoles cleans the mess.
So I figured to make Alt-UpArrow change the geometry to temporarily
set the environment for dvifb, it's usable, yet not the best option.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
andrej

--