Re: Re:Re: Beginning to try to secure my box. Thanks so far

On Fri, 2002-06-07 at 22:15, arthur_dent wrote:
> Thanks so far to all who replied to my earlier post asking about uninstalling
> a few services/programs  to try to secure this box.
>
> I have downloaded and printed out the Securing Debian Manual and am beginning
> to wade my way through. My biggest problem here is the assumptions the
> authors make about the level of knowledge that the reader will have about
> Debian/Linux ...there are a lot of things they make reference to that I have
> no idea about...:-) But I will in time.
>
> I have also installed from cd the Hardening Docs and will begin reading those
> too.
> A couple of the replies mentioned that I could disable services in the
> inetd.conf file. Below is a copy of mine, how do I know what I need and dont
> need?

You may want to take a look at Securing and Optimizing Redhat Linux by
Gerhard Mourani at
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/solrhe/Securing-Optimizing-Linux-RH-Edition-v1.3/ although this book is Redhat specific, if provides a general overview of what you need/don't need.