Re:Re: Beginning to try to secure my box. Thanks so far

Thanks so far to all who replied to my earlier post asking about uninstalling
a few services/programs  to try to secure this box.

I have downloaded and printed out the Securing Debian Manual and am beginning
to wade my way through. My biggest problem here is the assumptions the
authors make about the level of knowledge that the reader will have about
Debian/Linux ...there are a lot of things they make reference to that I have
no idea about...:-) But I will in time.

I have also installed from cd the Hardening Docs and will begin reading those
too.
A couple of the replies mentioned that I could disable services in the
inetd.conf file. Below is a copy of mine, how do I know what I need and dont
need?

Thanks for any help.
# /etc/inetd.conf:  see inetd(8) for further informations.
#
# Internet server configuration database
#
#
# Lines starting with "#:LABEL:" or "#<off>#" should not
# be changed unless you know what you are doing!
#
# If you want to disable an entry so it isn't touched during
# package updates just comment it out with a single '#' character.
#
# Packages should modify this file by using update-inetd(8)
#
#
#:INTERNAL: Internal services
#echo		stream	tcp	nowait	root	internal
#echo		dgram	udp	wait	root	internal
#chargen	stream	tcp	nowait	root	internal
#chargen	dgram	udp	wait	root	internal
discard		stream	tcp	nowait	root	internal
discard		dgram	udp	wait	root	internal
daytime		stream	tcp	nowait	root	internal
#daytime	dgram	udp	wait	root	internal
time		stream	tcp	nowait	root	internal
#time		dgram	udp	wait	root	internal

#:STANDARD: These are standard services.

#:BSD: Shell, login, exec and talk are BSD protocols.

#:MAIL: Mail, news and uucp services.
smtp		stream	tcp	nowait	mail	/usr/sbin/exim exim -bs

#:INFO: Info services
ident		stream	tcp	wait	identd	/usr/sbin/identd	identd

#:BOOT: Tftp service is provided primarily for booting.  Most sites
# run this only on machines acting as "boot servers."

#:RPC: RPC based services

#:HAM-RADIO: amateur-radio services

#:OTHER: Other services
vboxd	stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/sbin/tcpd	/usr/sbin/vboxd