KDE on Woody 2.4.19

I'm struggling a little with a Woody installation and KDE,
I have the 2.4.18 kernel.

I installed XFree86, works great.  startx comes up, looks good,
runs fine, twm is even running...

Now, I would like to install KDE 3.0.x, which I want as my default
desktop, but i'm running into issues both doing apt-get's and
building from the source.  KDE doesn't start, when I do a "startkde",
I get some script errors, but DCOP starts... interesting. I can even
start kdesktop, and guess what, that even comes up...
It just feels like its not completely installed, or something got
juggled in the process of installing.

Can someone out there give me an idea of what is the best way to
install KDE on my platform, and what the steps are?

thanks.
---