Re: Why does Mozilla modify /etc/alternatives/netscape?

* Bruce (bestb@sympatico.ca) [020607 09:01]:
> I am running Debian Woody/SID. I generally use Konqueror for browsing, though
> for some sites, I use Netscape v. 4.77, as Konqueror doesn't work well with
> them.
>
> I had Mozilla 1.0RC-2 installed, but had never run it until today. Looks
> great.
>
> Unfortunately, many sites I need to access EXPRESSLY DO NOT WORK with Mozilla
> or Netscape 6.0. These are unfortunately some of the most important sites I
> need to access, including some online banking sites, subscription based legal
> research sites, and others. They all work with Netscape 4.77. Most do not
> work with Mozilla/Netscape 6.

Well, in reality, most of them probably do work, but the people
responsible for supporting the applications don't want to have to
"officially support" additional browsers. So, they put in a browser
check to box you out. The User-Agent sidebar available from the Mozilla
Evangelism site should help you work around it.

good times,
Vineet
--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume.shtml