Pentium optimised vs not

Hi,

I'm working in what is a Mandrake shop, but relatively open minded about
Debian. I'm already making inroads into getting Debian used as the distro
of choice for infrastructure boxes. Thanks to FAI. Nice work Thomas.

Mandrake alledgedly compile all their binaries with Pentium optimisation.
I was recently asked if Debian's binaries were optimised. I didn't think
they were. I was wondering, in reality, if there were any significant
performance gain from doing it?

Let's say I wanted to keep a local package repository build from the
source packages, how trivial is it when (re) building the packages to
enable Pentium optimisation?

Andrew