RE: Debian: abandon ship?

Em Qua, 2002-06-05 às 18:41, Brooks R. Robinson escreveu:
> | Uh huh.  And get cracked tomorrow because security updates are *not*
> | being made for woody at this time.  There is a list of approximately a
> | dozen *known* security problems with woody that will be dealt with
> | *later*.  Updates are not propogating from sid to woody at all right
> | now, even for security reasons.  Woody is probably at its most insecure
> | point in the development process right now.
> |
> | Do not "Just do an apt-get dist upgrade and get it over with" unless you
> | have no reason to care about security or are willing to do security
> | investigations and fixes on your own.
>
> It was not my intention to lead users astray, my intention was to enlighten
> people to the fact that testing is, for the most part, not going to change.
> The security fixes are flowing into sid.  It's not a big trick to get notice
> from security-announce and grab a few pacakges from sid in the mean time.
> I'll grant that it's not as easy, but doable.
>
> Farewell,
>
> Brooks

Hi-

	At a bare * minimum * there should be some policy to * advise * and *
guide * Woody users to do what you propose above.

	I've never seen that...No clear * guidance *. And _please_ don't flame
me with the usual: "well, it's your responsibility, etc, etc, Debian is
not for everyone, etc. etc, blah, blah".

	But this is what happens when developers only see things from their
standpoint. I mean this in the sense that they're more security savvy
than the usual user.

	BTW, I would like to say here that I'm not "trashing" developers - no
way. But how many are really proficient in security matters? Personally,
I've known developers who are lax in security issues...Let alone common
users...

	Henry
	synthespian@debian-rs.org