Re: open ports question

Lo, on Wednesday, June 5, Paul Johnson did write:

> On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 02:32:00PM -0400, tvn1981 wrote:
>
> > 9/tcp      open        discard
>
> Not sure myself...

Standard TCP service; routes everything written to that port to the bit
bucket.  I'm not aware of any security risks here.

> > 13/tcp     open        daytime
> > 37/tcp     open        time
>
> ntp daemon, you can safely disable these in inetd.conf

No, it's not the ntp daemon; that listens on 123/tcp (see
/etc/services).

The daytime service responds to connections simply by writing the
current time, in human-readable form, to the connection and closing.  I
think time does the same, but in machine-readable format:

[nanny-ogg:~]$ telnet localhost time
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
ÀªH¤Connection closed by foreign host.
[nanny-ogg:~]$ telnet localhost daytime
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
Thu Jun  6 15:46:32 2002
Connection closed by foreign host.

Far as I know, you can safely disable these (I'm not running inetd at
all on either of my two machines, and nobody's complained at me yet).
As with discard, though, I don't know if they're a security risk.

> > 113/tcp    open        auth
>
> identd.  Keep if you *ever* connect to IRC; most networks will drop you
> if it can't get an ident response.

Does this service have any uses besides IRC?

Richard