Re: Debian: abandon ship?

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 12:51:04PM -0400, David Z Maze wrote:
> This came up on debian-devel not too long ago.  Someone proposed a
> "point release" to woody that would have gcc-3.1, GNOME 2.0, new KDE,
> and "no major changes to the distribution" -- even though this would
> require recompiling everything with a relatively untested compiler,
> and presenting a relatively untested desktop environment to new
> users.  Sure, it's good PR to have a "release" with ooh-new-and-shiny
> components, but it's less clear that it'll actually *work*, which
> should be the point.

Not only good PR... I'd say it's also useful. Using potato, we had problems
using docbook XML (we had to backport the packages from unstable), to compile
an ICQ jabber transport (needs gcc 3.*), and some other problems that I
do not recollect immediately.

But I do understand that there are packaging problems involved, of
course! I don't think that blindly adding things to stable would work,
and selecting what to add may require time and attention from
developers... But I do think there must exist some solution to this.

J.