Re: this post is not off-topic

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 03:49:02AM -0700, David Wright wrote:

| There are two justifications for supporting many architectures on
| the table:
|     (1) We wanna.

Isn't this how all of OSS works?

|     (2) It's for the good of the users.

| (2) is just not true. It would be, if Debian had sufficient resources to
| support obscure arches without hurting mainstream arch support. But
| experiment has proved that isn't the case.

Ok, I've got a s390, an HPPA, and a MIPS box on my desk here.  (just
like I have $11 million to spend on my own medical research)  How is
it *not* good for the users (me, the people who use the systems I
maintain) for debian to support those systems?  It is very good for
the user*S* for my hardware to be supported.  If you think your
systems are more important than mine, that's fine.  Put your money
where your mouth is.  Some people think "I"/"my systems" are just as
important as yours.

Doesn't it really suck to be trying to tell someone how great debian
is and what it can do only to find out they're using some hardware
that doesn't work so great (in debian)?  It kinda makes you put your
foot in your mouth.

-D

--

The heart is deceitful above all things
    and beyond cure.

I the Lord search the heart
    and examine the mind,
to reward a man according to his conduct,
    according to what his deeds deserve.

        Jeremiah 17:9-10