Re: Debian: abandon ship?

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002 13:47:27 -0500
"Dave Sherohman" <esper@sherohman.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 11:18:29AM -0700, David Wright wrote:
> > in the interest of Debian getting to
> > know the needs of its customers (a phrase calculated to annoy Manoj
> > :-), what are the percentage users of potato, woody, and sid? I assume
> > this could be estimated from average daily activity for each archive.
>
> I doubt that this would be a useful metric, given that people
> tracking less-stable versions are likely to be updating more
> frequently.  (I'll periodically apt-get upgrade my testing/unstable
> systems just to see what's new, but I only touch apt on my stable
> boxes when a security update is announced.)

Beyond that it would fail to account for users of local mirrors.  I for
one have 18 systems in my household that update off one central internal
mirror. In addition, my mirror pulls for stable, testing, and unstable for
both i386 and PPC.  So, now tell me, how many systems I have are running
which releases.

--
Jamin W. Collins