Re: Debian: abandon ship?

Em Qua, 2002-06-05 às 08:41, Nick Jacobs escreveu:
> A few days ago, David Wright posted a message to this
> list, questioning the wisdom of Debian's decision
> to target 11 architectures. He pointed out (with
> supporting references) that this decision has
> contributed to a long delay in releasing Woody;
> of course, other people have said this before.
>
> The main result was that a small number of
> Debian insiders posted abusive comments
> message. (The thread, in case you missed it,
> has the subject "This post is not off-topic".)
>
> With hindsight, it's clear that trying to
> support too many architectures was a mistake.
> Of course, everybody makes mistakes. It is truly
> said that he who never made a mistake, never
> made anything.
>
> But what separates the doers from the wannabes
> is the ability to admit a mistake, change
> direction, and move on.
>
> If the people in effective control of Debian's
> direction no longer have this ability, then
> perhaps Debian is no longer useful to most
> of us.
>
> To save the Debian Attack Team the effort
> of a search, I'll admit immediately that
> (like most Debian users) I've contributed
> nothing to Debian except good intentions
> and trivial amounts of money. Debian does
> not need me. And I need a stable release
> with the 2.4 kernel.

You have 2 stable releases which are up-to-date:
woody

and sid
They are perfectly stable, but the distribution is changing
just like the RedHat distribution is changing every few weeks,
the only difference is that they call it stable even when if it is
broken, while debian is called unstable even when every thing works
fine.

Michel.