Re: What do I need for proxy email and firewall debian server?

On Wed, 05 Jun 2002 08:14:28 +0800
"Motiv8d" <Motiv8d@Westnet.net.au> wrote:
I'm not really an expert on all the subjects, but have some experience
with e-mail/http/firewalls. So I hope more will give their opinion.

> been using MS packages. What I would like to do is have packages able
> to be implemented and executed at console level, but administered
> (modified and viewed) through X or remotely through web
Just ssh to the firewall and do your admin stuff...

> This would be for following requirements
> 1) Firewall settings and hits, logs etc
I've you really want to do things the right way, learn about iptables
and make yourself a nice script. Iptables is in the 2.4.* kernels, by
the way. Ipchains was the 2.2.* version of iptables.

> 2) If possible would like to be able to restrict access to web sites
> and ports on a user/group basis.
I have no experience with that, but I think you can filter on owner of a
process in iptables, see man iptables and then 'owner'. But I'm not sure
if that's what you mean. If you're talking about securing your own
webpages you can best let users login. If you need to restrict websites
on the 'dangerous' internet you're talking about proxies, see 3).

> 3) Proxy settings and viewing cache hits and contents etc
Don't really know much know about that, I think you need squid..
> 4) Email server (prefer pop/smtp), adding/editing/removing users and
> groups etc
I like 'exim' for smtp, it is has a lot of config options. And I use
courier-imap,-pop as for imap and pop.

> I would like something that can eventually work in tables, if I start
> using stable debian potato then change to stable woody once released
I'm not sure what you mean with this, but I would go for woody right
now. There's not going to change much when the release happens and that
will happen very soon anyway (I think..)

> Also they will be implemented on modem link and/or ADSL.
> Most client machines will be windows platform. for now anyway ;-).
Change that asap ;)

I think you should go to http://www.ibiblio.org/Linux/ to read
somethings about networking and stuff...

Grtjs TIm