Re: 2 pcmcia ethernet cards?

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Dave Price wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have two pcmcia ethernet cards which do work.  I am running them as a
> firewall and would like to have a bit tighter control about how and when
> they load.

What is the control that you want here? It sounds like you just really
want to be able to control which card is eth0 and which one is eth1
[which, of course, is pretty important :)].

> Will specifying their i/o, irq parameters in lilo.conf let me specify
> which one is which.... as seems to be indiccated in the following tip?
>
> Note: These are PCMCIA cards, and thus not visible to the kernel till
> after cardmgr is running.

PCMCIA cards aren't handled the same way as ISA or PCI Ethernet cards
directly plugged into the bus and controlled by the kernel. So the stuff
you quote below isn't applicable, it is for the ISA/PCI Ethernet cards.

> <snip>
> --Detecting 2 ethernet cards--
>
>  To configure an ethernet card in Linux, you need to enable it
>  in the kernel. Then the kernel will detect your ethernet card
>  if it is at a common IO port. But it will stop there, and
>  will never check if you have 2 ethernet cards.
>
>  The trick is to tell the ethernet driver that there are 2
>  cards in the system. The following line will tell the kernel
>  that there is an ethernet card at IRQ 10 and IO 0x300, and
>  another one at IRQ 9 and IO 0x340:
>
> ether=10,0x300,eth0 ether=9,0x340,eth1
>
>  You can add that line on bootup at the "boot:" prompt, or in
>  the /etc/lilo.conf file. Don't forget to run:
>
> lilo
>
>  That will reload the lilo.conf file and enable changes.
>  </snip>

None of the above is applicable to PCMCIA Ethernet cards. These cards are
controlled by the cardmgr stuff and configured in
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts. You have the ability to specify the
configuration of the cards by a few criteria in that file. It seems like
you could use a scheme like configuring the Ethernet card in PCMCIA slot 0
to be eth0, and slot 1 to be eth1 (or something like this). I have
something like this set up on a laptop for a normal PCMCIA Ethernet card
and a PCMCIA wireless 802.11 card. I was able to add a section to the case
statement in /etc/pcmcia/network.opts to select network configurations (IP
addresses/masks and such) based upon which card was installed, what slot
it was installed in, etc. I think there is some good documentation in the
PCMCIA HOWTO about configuring this, I know I found info on the web
somewhere when I added the wireless card to my laptop.

Hope this helps...