Re: changing servers' UID/GIDs

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 11:43:02PM +0300, Imre Oolberg wrote:
> I try to keep two machines running Debian v 3.0 the same, essentially
> mirrors of one another. But stupid me, i probably messed up the order and
> installed Heartbeat, Postfix and MySQL with different sequence on each
> computer. Now i have same system users postfix, haclient and mysql with
> different UID/GIDs. I think it would be good to have systems the same
> down to its users' UID/GIDs.

daemons which depend on hard-coded nummerical UIDs are the apt-get not
worth of it.

> I believe i could quite easily just find files belonging to specific
> user/group and change them appropriately. But are there some hidden rocks
> i could run into doing so? What about Debian package management, for
> example?

locate the nummeric UID (e.g. 100).

find -uid 100 <further options, like permissions and type of inode)

> I'd be very grateful for any opinions on that matter. Sorry if this
> question is already answered somewhare and you can kindly point me to that
> resource.

just let the users be. glibc provide some functionality to lookup
usernames to UIDs (cuserid and getlogin). hardcoded UIDs are not
portable (beside root account) and should be avoided everytime you
design a daemon.