Re: installing from debian cd

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 06:03:27PM +0800, lito wrote:
> I have a few newbie questions:
>
> how do I install packages from my debian cd?

Run 'apt-cdrom add', if you haven't already, to add the CDs to the
package database. Then you have a number of options for package
management:

  * dselect. Traditional full-screen interface with some quirks, loved
    or hated depending on whom you ask.

  * 'apt-get install <packagename>'. Good for simple tasks, although it
    doesn't tell you about all the package relationships you might want
    to know about.

  * aptitude (much better in woody than in potato, I'm told). Apparently
    as good as dselect with better user interface design, but I haven't
    tried it yet.

> Does kernel source comes with the default installation? Why can't I see
> the source in /usr/src?

'apt-cache search kernel-source' will show you a number of packages you
can install. It's not there by default.

Cheers,