Re: can't change my password

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 12:10:45AM +0200, Marco Herrn wrote:
> when trying to change my password with passwd I get the following error:
>
> marco@lurkabove:~$ passwd
> Changing password for marco
> (current) UNIX password:
> passwd: Critical error - immediate abort
>
> After entering my current pw it waits for 2 seconds then the error
> message appears.
> The same happens when trying that as root. Not even root itself can
> change its password.

I now found, where the problem is, but I don't understand it.
I recently changed my /etc/pam.d/passwd from

  password required  pam_unix.so nullok obscure min=4 max=8 md5

  password required  pam_cracklib.so retry=3 minlen=6 difok=3
  password required  pam_unix.so use_authtok nullok md5

When changing back to the first I _can_ change my passwords.

Where is the problem? I _do_ have libpam-cracklib installed.
Did I forget to configure something?

Bye
Marco
--
An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows
absolutely everything about nothing.

--
Marco Herrn             herrn@gmx.net
(GnuPG/PGP-signed and crypted mail preferred)