can't change my password

Hi,

when trying to change my password with passwd I get the following error:

marco@lurkabove:~$ passwd
Changing password for marco
(current) UNIX password:
passwd: Critical error - immediate abort

After entering my current pw it waits for 2 seconds then the error
message appears.
The same happens when trying that as root. Not even root itself can
change its password.

Where can be the problem? The minimum lifecycle of passwords is set to 0
days in /etc/login.defs

Bye
Marco
--
There are more dead people than living, and their numbers are increasing.

--
Marco Herrn             herrn@gmx.net
(GnuPG/PGP-signed and crypted mail preferred)