Re: rc.local in debian (was: Ip Masquerading)

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 03:08:56AM -0500, Elizabeth Barham wrote:
> I made my own entitled "local" in /etc/init.d by copying
> /etc/init.d/skeleton to /etc/init.d/local, added what I needed it to
> do in the start section, and created a softlink to it in rc2.d
> entitled S99local.
>
> I don't know how others do it, though.

The "debian" way of setting up the symlinks is via update-rc.d (1), it
will set up the symlinks for all of the runlevels.

AFAIK, the system administrator is free to create new entries in
/etc/init.d and set up symlinks. However, you may want to make sure that
you won't "collide" with any packages you set up in the future. I
usually do that by prefixing the script the "hostname-", but there
probably are other (better) ways of avoiding collisions.

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com