Re: Inittab: command not executed

"D.J. Bolderman" <dick@bolderman.xs4all.nl> writes:
> In /etc/inittab i have the following line to start my adsl connection:
> a1:35:once:/usr/sbin/adsl start
> However, during bootup this line is not executed, because i still have to
> start my connection manually. I can't find anything in the logs either.
> Anyone have a clue ?

That looks like it should attempt to run that command in runlevels 3
and 5, but on Debian the default runlevel is usually 2.  Maybe this is
the problem?

I'm also unclear why you aren't doing this the more "normal" way:

-- Create /etc/init.d/adsl (copied from the skeleton file there);
   perhaps your /usr/sbin/adsl is what this script should be.
-- Create symlinks in /etc/rc3.d and /etc/rc5.d (and possibly
   elsewhere, if you want this for all runlevels) that point to
   ../init.d/adsl (e.g. 'ln -s ../init.d/adsl S90adsl').

This also makes it far easier to adjust things; I find it much less
painful to run (for a more conrete example) '/etc/init.d/gdm restart'
when my display manager breaks on Debian, compared to changing
runlevels twice to kick it on Red Hat.

	-- Abra Mitchell