Re: slogin & telnet 60-minute timeout---SOLVED

I was logging in from my office Debian computer
through an office firewall, through my home Debian computer's firewall
into my home Debian computer.
Then a timeout occured at 60 minutes.
When a friend slogin from his Debian home computer
to my Debian home computer, no timeout occured.
THE TIMEOUT PROBLEM RESIDED IN MY OFFICE'S CISCO ROUTERS OR ITS FIREWALL

The solution to this timeout can be found within comments
of the following perl script,
   http://www.humbug.org.au/ssh-https-tunnel
Specifically, he says,
   Many proxies will timeout connections very quickly
   when there is no activity.
   If your ssh client supports it, ADD THE FOLLOWING TO THE
      ~/.ssh/config file.  #Debian-email: or to /etc/ssh/ssh_config?
      ProtocolKeepAlives 5
   Another popular method is to X-Forward something
   like  "xclock -update 5"  to keep the connection "active."

After some reading, I see that this ProtocolKeepAlives
is set for the ssh client, not for the sshd daemon.
It sends ssh IGNORE (SSH_MSG_IGNORE) packets.

Tangential:  I must upgrade my office computer from potato to woody
to get a newer ssh using  ProtocolKeepAlives.

---Jim Burt